10.15.2005

Impressions...

So I've had the City of Villain beta account for about a week now, and here are a few impressions of what I've played so far.

1. A lot of the classes are inverses of CoH archetypes. Say for example that the Tanker class is Primary powerset of Defense and secondary of Melee, the Brute AT from CoV is a Melee/Defense for it's powersets. While they have some certainly interesting inherent powers and all, that's the truth that I've come to...except for mastermind.

2. Masterminds rule all. Maybe because I just have a softspot in my heart for the James Bond evil mastermind type of character, but I find the MM's just far too much fun to play.

3. Very laggy. I know it's beta and all, but for god's sake, even if there's a quarter of the CoH population between the 2-4 of the servers they have running for the beta, I should at least be able to make it to the end of an alley in under 5 minutes. I think it may have something to do with the new Mastermind class having a bunch of minions out, but something needs to be fixed before this thing goes live, otherwise it just looks like a slideshow of a really neat game.

4. Mercy Islan is a pain in the ASS to navigate around. The lag has something to do with it, but getting back to your first contact and the trainer is a pain in the ass the first couple of goes.

5. I see a losing a bunch of CoH players to CoV permanently. If they clean up the lag they'll have themselves a very very solid game, and unless a very good majority of the new CoV features find their way over to CoH, people aren't going to be switching back.

Well that's my thoughts for now. In short it's shaping up to be a very worthy purchase. That is all

Mahalo

No comments: