11.16.2005

Loathing...There's no Fear to it...

I'm happy to report that i've crossed the 36K word mark this morning, which leaves me with some easy going for the next couple of days. I'll still write be sure of that, but I don't feel nearly as rushed lately. But there's something that I must get off of my chest. I heart NaNo and everything like that. no biggie there, but it's kinda like, at this point, I hate writing the story. That's more than likely my inner editor giving it one last go to fuck me up before I complete this thing, but let's be honest at this point. I've been writing this story, gun to my head, for a little over two weeks now. It's not the story that I dislike per se, but the fact that I'm doing it just for the word count. The big thing is that I'm ready to wrap up the story, on more than one front, but I'm gonna have to drag it out for another 14,000 words, which Is doable, but it feels like I'm almost throwing fluff in there at this point just to stretch it out a bit and that's why I'm not so much in love with the story as I originally was. The exploits of Elias Burke, aka The Viper are many and varied, and I planned to reflect that a little more than I did, but the story kinda took itself over and didn't really lend to me giving out one or two more flashback types of deals. Now that I'm past the point of no return, and wouldn't anyway at this point, I'm discovering that there's a few characters that I meant to showcase more than I did, and certainly wanted to breath a little more life into through backstory and such, but it seemed that I was doing that a little much through the first half of the story and so it just seemed to get into repetitively ending chapters of "lemme tell you a story about..." So I steered more and more away from flashback and went more for the here and now, and in the process people like Edgar, even one of the other main characters Shin Lao, and Detective Skinner got chopped down. Now I've told a great deal of the story through Skinner's eyes so he's kind of become fleshed out throughout the book, but Shin Lao at one point was a fully fleshed out character through the many adventures, and I won't hesitate to mention she was pretty fecking cool. Unfortunately through the NaNo process she got chopped down from a bad bitch of an assassin who could kick anybody's ass on her own to a kind of a sidekick type character. This disappoints me, but will be addressed at a later moment.

No comments: